What is WebRTC currently missing?

Options
2»

Comments

• jameshush
    jameshush Dailynista
    Options

@ashley Let's start with this definition:

WebRTC is the set of technologies that allow live video experiences in the browser.

Ok cool! So it's getUserMedia, video tags, and modern JavaScript!

...and screen sharing!

...and I guess we need to include the server tech too, right? That includes media soup!

...and STUN servers!

...oh and some DNS stuff in there too.

...oh and don't forget smart tv's. They have browsers too. Well, maybe not browsers, but they show live videos, just look at the Twitch app.

...speaking of Twitch, I guess we include live streaming too? But is that really live? Is a 10-second delay live? Well if the user experience is two people on stage broadcasting to 100k people the two stage people need low latency to speak to one another, but the other 100k people won't mind the 10-second delay.

...unless it's a live QA session, I guess we can't use a CDN live streaming solution; we can just use Daily Interactive Live Streaming instead.

...oh speaking of CDNs, I guess we should throw HLS video into the definition too.

...and pre-recorded video! I guess. I mean we want to record our presentation and share it later right?

That's how I concluded the real definition of WebRTC is "video stuff".

• vr000m
    vr000m Dailynista
    Options

@chad I hear you on the signalling. I believe it was a good thing that we did not define signalling. Alas, we did kinda mandate SDP for Capability Exchange. I provide the historical context in another community thread, but if we go with @aconchillo's proposal above, we could have found a way to describe the capabilities without using SDP, ergo the negated the little intertwining we seem to have with Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).

• vr000m
    vr000m Dailynista
    edited July 2022
    Options

@chad Agree.

I basically think of the compromise as --

As a web developer there are a lot of gotcha moments... like call createOffer and then setLocalDescriptions... Why??!

And for a network engineer with the SDP background, oooh createOffer gives me an SDP that works for the local endpoint, but I can further edit and then do setLocalDescriptions to see if my edits work?! Woah, that is so cool.

Unfortunately, the network engineer never needed the SDP and munging SDP is fraught with issues, because the only way to validate the edits is to call the API that applies the configuration :D