PreBuilt Custom Integrations don't show up in recordings

Options

I read the interesting blogs on Prebuilt custom integrations written by Jonathan Taylor and Liza Shulyayeva. I used the new Prebuilt Integrations API to add some custom integrations to our Prebuilt application. The integration worked. Nonetheless, our integrations did not appear in our recordings.

My thought is that, probably the initial implementation of recording has not been modified to include custom integrations. Nonetheless, I decided to ask the questions below:

Does anyone know why our custom integrations did not appear in our recordings? Has anyone successfully implemented custom integration with recording?

Thanks,

Jonathan Ekwempu

Answers

• akhil
    akhil Community Manager, Moderator, Dailynista admin
    Options

Hi Jonathan,

Custom integrations don't show up in recordings by default in Daily Prebuilt

This is possible to implement with Daily Prebuilt, though - you need to leverage Daily's VCS. For instance, with VCS WebFrame, you can embed most dynamic web content used in integrations: https://docs.daily.co/reference/vcs

This would mean modifying the default startRecording() call in Daily by using a custom button and passing the URL to startRecording() like shown in the blog post:

You might need to add additional interactions depending on the integration content itself. Happy to help - let me know!

• jekwempu
    Options

Thank you @akhil for your response. The way custom integrations is handled in Prebuilt is quite different from the way you handle composition params. Composition params (VCS) is best suited for Interactive Live Streaming (ILS), whereas for custom integrations we are looking at adding additional functionalities (apps, buttons with actions) specifically to Prebuilt. Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Jonathan

• akhil
    akhil Community Manager, Moderator, Dailynista admin
    Options

Hi Jonathan,

VCS isn't limited to ILS - under the hood, it's the same composition engine that runs both our recording and streaming composition pipelines. To change the behaviour of how recordings look, you need to interact with VCS and tell VCS what/how to render. Custom integrations are not part of video/audio streams that are recorded traditionally, so it has to be added manually via VCS. Hope this clears it up!

• jekwempu
    Options

Thanks @akhil for your response. Could you please point me to any example where I could use VCS with Prebuilt or a code snippet to do so.

Thanks,

Jonathan