Video and audio not played only on iPad.

Options

We are building video call application using daily-js callObject.

Our application had no problem playing video and audio from other users on PC, but when we tested our application with iPad, we often see cases where the audio is not played and black rectangles appear in the area where a video is supposed be played.

This behavior is inconsistent - sometimes everything works perfectly fine, but other times, we see the behavior we described before.

We see this behavior on both Safari and chrome, but we have seen this only on iPad.

Please let us know if you have ideas for the cause.

Best,

Tomo

Answers

• Tamara
    Tamara Moderator, Dailynista admin
    Options

Hi Tomo,

We're sorry to hear that you're running into these issues on IPads. We've seen this issue/a similar issue on IPads and have recently been debugging this. I will check with the team if they have any latest updates and/or workarounds for you to handle this.
    Do you happen to have an example sessionIDs to share with us for the team to take a look at?

• TomohiroMaeda
    Options

Hi Tamara,

Sure. We just reproduced this issue. the sessionID is c6c0e4bc-4065-427e-a799-c1d2d5586e4a

Here are more details.

・The participant with iPad didn't have any issue playing video of users who joined after seeing the black rectangle. Also, the video was successfully played when video was turned off and on.

・To resolve this issue, we put the button on the screen to re-join the call. So far, clicking button has solved the issue for the participants. (Though we are actually running the exact same functions as the one we run when the page is loaded).

Best,

Tomo

• Tamara
    Options

Hi Tomo,

Thank you for sharing the sessionID and the details. I'll check in with our engineering team to see if we have any ways to help you solve this, or if this is the IPad bug we've seen previously. In either case, I will be sure to update you when I know more.

• Tamara
    Options

Hi Tomo,

Checking the session logs, I see that this user on Ipad is on macOS 10.15.6 Catalina and Safari 15.6. Can you check to see if the other cases you're seeing of this behavior are also on older versions of the OS and browser? We have seen a similar bug on these older versions, but would want to advise upgrading both to check if this solves the issue.

And for cases you've seen on Ipad where it does work as expected, could you check to see what browser and OS version are used? I would suspect that these are newer versions than we see being used here.

• TomohiroMaeda
    TomohiroMaeda Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the OS and safari version you mentioned was used.

We updated iPad's OS and safari and still encountered the same issue.

Below is the session ID for the call I had issue with Safari.

dbdd0037-ceb2-4e7f-9abd-2bb35126c500

We also tried with Chrome.

41125c0e-d807-4c09-9ee7-bf637659b493

Best,

Tomo

• Tamara
    Options

Hi Tomo,

Thanks for sharing, that's helpful context, thank you for sharing! I will check back in with the team and report back when I know more about this issue from them.

• Tamara
    Options

Hi Tomo,

We're still looking into this for you, would you have a place on your end where we can try to reproduce this on your app (as well as doing so on our end)? Thanks!

• TomohiroMaeda
    Options

Hi Tamara,

Sure. Our current application requires log-in to our product, so we will prepare a room where you don't need any login. I will let you know once we have the page.

Best,

Tomo

• Tamara
    Options

Great, thank you Tomo that's much appreciated!