Do camSimulcastEncodings and setBandwidth methods apply to Custom Track?

I have created a custom track from video file. And I have used these below camSimulcastEncodings and kbs cap. Do these apply to caustomTrack as well or only applies to video track that are obtained from camera?

Answers

• 👋 Hi @svm_agilis

The short answer is yes.

camSimulcastEncodings should apply to custom video tracks as well as camera tracks.

If it doesn't apply to your custom track will you let us know so we can investigate further?

• Hi @mindchatter

Thanks 🙂

I can see that camSimulcastEncodings is working. i.e, participant able to send 3 video layers. Here, I limit the uplink bandwidth cap to 520kbps with callObject.setBandwidth() method. As per this uplink bandwidth cap of 520kbps, participant should only send layer0 (bandwidth: 120kbps), layer1 (bandwidth: 400kbps). But I can see that participant can also send layer 2 (bandwidth: 1600kbps). So, I conclude that kbs limit which I set is not working on custom track, but it works for normal video tracks.

Could you please check that callObject.setBandwidth() applies to custom Tracks as well?

Thanks again 🙂

• marco
    marco Moderator, Dailynista admin

Hey @svm_agilis — good catch. This appears to be a gap. I will report this to our engineers and start a discussion to see what we can do to address it.

I'll report back to this thread once I know more! 🫡

• cool. That would be really helpful.

Thank you @marco

• marco

Hey @svm_agilis — we've created an engineering task to revisit our current methods and figure out how to improve setBandwidth() use for custom tracks. I'll keep you posted on updates from the internal discussion!

• Thank you so much @marco

is there any update on this ?

• marco

Hey @svm_agilis — I've been following the eng work on this topic internally, and yesterday the engineer working on it transitioned the task from in-progress to in-review. I'll keep you posted as soon as I get a new update!

• marco

Hey @svm_agilis — thanks in large part to your feedback and question from this thread, we created a new method updateSendSettings() that allows you to set specific settings for custom tracks. Check out the new documentation here and lmk if you have any questions for our team:

https://docs.daily.co/reference/rn-daily-js/instance-methods/update-send-settings