Does Daily work across browsers/devices?

System
System Community Manager admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: What questions do you have about the W3C and its WebRTC Working Group?.

Comments

• Hi, I have a question about Daily.

I got a pure JS library that my customers import on their web pages.

It enables those web pages to record live video/audio. (no streaming required)

It works like this:

1 - Through getUserMedia() > MediaStream, I get the recording as a Blob.

2 - I store video/audio file on the server.

3 - On the browser, I create ObjectURL out of the Blob, so that the user can immediately play back the recording.

4 - Only when the user is happy with the recording, the server transcodes the file from step 2.

I’m not able to make it work on Safari Mac and iOS, although Apple “supports” WebRTC, blah, blah, blah.

Can I employ Daily to perform the above steps, and be sure it works on any browser/device?

• daily_joey
    daily_joey Moderator, Dailynista admin

Hi @Lirian , thank you the question!

Though there is still the possibility of issues introduced by browser updates, in general, Daily should work across browsers and we have regular internal testing to detect any issues with API functionality.

For your specific case, whether or not Daily will work depends on the primary functionality you're looking to implement for your use case.

For example, with our cloud recording offering, one approach might look like this:

1. A room is created with cloud recording enabled.
    2. A user joins the room and creates recordings. They are automatically transcoded and saved, either to our cloud recording or to your own S3 bucket.
    3. The user can review each cloud recording, pick the one that they want to save, and the rest can be discarded.

This approach isn't exactly as you described, and there are some quirks having to do with encoding each file, but this approach should work across browsers on both desktop and mobile devices, with the added benefit of our regular compatibility testing.

If you have more details to share on what you're building we can provide better recommendations on how to accomplish what you're looking for!

• Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. My posting was deleted from the original location, so I thought that was it.

Yes, I've read Daily recording options, but need to make sure they fit my requirements.

There are two moments, that I'm not sure Daily can deal with:

• My video recordings will typically be short, about one to two minutes long, BUT I want them available for playback (by the original user), almost instantly. That I guess would depend on your transcoding speed. In my current setup, I have no problem, because I got the original recording on the originating browser specific format, so I can play back instantly.
    • My JS library, which is in charge of all this functionality, will have to be installed by my clients, on their own web pages, by simply referring to it. Not sure if Daily solution, will introduce any cross domain issues.

It is possible to get on a phone call with someone who supports the API?

Thanks.

• Hi @daily_joey ,

Just mentioning you, in case you might not notice my message.

• daily_joey
    daily_joey Moderator, Dailynista admin

Hey @Lirian!

Recordings made using Daily's cloud feature are composited during the call and the files should be ready soon after the end of the recording. For short, 1-2 minute recordings, this should only be a few seconds. Your app would then need to fetch the resulting media file in order to play it back for the user.

In the future, we also hope to offer HLS streaming and recording support, to make this process even more streamlined.

For ensuring compatibility across domains, we have some notes on managing security policies in our docs: https://docs.daily.co/guides/privacy-and-security/content-security-policy#what-is-a-content-security-policy-csp

If you have more specific questions, you can always reach out to our support team at help@daily.co!