CometChat for Prebuilt

With the recent announcement for CometChat with custom built it would be nice if it could be added to Prebuilt

Tagged:
1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

"In progress" means that Daily engineers are currently working on the feature.

Comments

• chad
    chad Community Manager, Moderator, Dailynista admin

Howdy! I've been working on solving exactly that problem. :) TLDR: I'll have a somewhat hacky version ready hopefully in the next week or so, but a much better version coming with some features we're hopefully shipping in the next month. I'll post back on this thread soon with some more details!

• @chad ooo! That would be great! Can't wait to see what you've done :-)

• @chad if you need anyone to help testing it out I would love to help!

• Tasha
    Tasha Community Manager, Dailynista admin

Thanks for the offer @reeceatkinson ! We'll keep you in mind.

• Hey @chad any update on this feature?

• Tasha
    Tasha Community Manager, Dailynista admin

@reeceatkinson thanks for checking in!

I had a quick chat with @chad to confirm that it is still being worked on. We'll post an update here when it's ready.

• mark_at_daily
    mark_at_daily Community Manager, Dailynista admin

@reeceatkinson, I'm working with the team building this feature. We're about to launch what we're calling an Integrations API. This API is aimed at allowing you to embed products of your own choosing into Prebuilt, so that you can extend the functionality and make those extensions feel native to the app.

We're shooting for a mid to late November release of this API. Once it launches, you'll be able to embed products like whiteboards, third party chat clients (like CometChat), and even your own web-hosted applications into Prebuilt.

Hope this helps!

• @mark_at_daily this is going to change the game! So excited!!!

• @mark_at_daily is there any way we could get a preview or a list of what you may be deploying mid November?

• mark_at_daily
    mark_at_daily Community Manager, Dailynista admin

We don't have anything to share externally just yet, but the gist of it is that we'll be releasing a new API that allows you to embed an iframe into Prebuilt. iframes can be placed either in the content area (think in the location where a screenshare appears) or in the sidebar (think where the chat appears). Along with this release, we'll have a guide and some sample materials showing how to integrate third party apps.

Also(!), we just launched a custom button API (docs: https://docs.daily.co/reference/daily-js/instance-methods/update-custom-tray-buttons) that lets you place a custom button (or buttons) in the bottom tray. The idea is that clicking those buttons lets you initiate custom functionality. The custom button APIs include methods, iframe config properties, and events.

The idea is that the Integrations API + custom button will let you, say, add a native feeling whiteboard option into Prebuilt where there is a Whiteboard button in the tray that when clicked launches a whiteboard option of your choice into the main video area. The Prebuilt app will switch views automatically to focus on the whiteboard while letting you see the people in the call.

We're really excited about this and it's been a ton of work. Can't wait to ship it!