Your camera: built in or external?

Tasha
Tasha Community Manager, Dailynista admin

Which type of web camera do you prefer to use? Tell us why in the comments.

Your camera: built in or external? 18 votes

built-in camera
33% 6 votes
external camera
66% 12 votes

Comments

• jayne
    jayne Member, Daily Alumni admin

I use a second monitor, and I like to face the camera. Plus, the quality of Mac's built-in camera is not as good as a nice external camera.

• Lazer
    Lazer Dailynista

I prefer working in a very portable setup, so just my laptop's built-in camera for me.

• Tasha

@jayne what type of external camera do you use?

• jayne
    jayne Member, Daily Alumni admin

@Tasha I'm using the Elgato Facecam

• Tasha

Just wanted to acknowledge the low contrast issue that makes it difficult to read the poll choices. I’m working on it 😅

• akhil
    akhil Community Manager, Moderator, Dailynista admin

I fell deep into the external camera rabbit hole a few months ago - I've been using the Sony ZV-1 for a few months now. It's a friendly, compact point-and-shoot + vlog camera and serves excellently as a webcam

I chose the ZV-1 because it could serve multiple purposes, and the entire setup can be fairly compact when I'm traveling (tripod + cable). However, as is with most external cameras on the other end (except webcams and the likes of Elgato or Lumina) - you will need additional equipment for a proper, long-term setup. For instance, with the ZV-1 you will need an additional power supply (as is with most DSLRs), capture cards like the Elgato Camlink, a camera base mount, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting :) and I feel it's well worth the investment if a large part of your day is spent on video calls

• Tasha
    edited October 2022

Hey, this is really helpful! Thanks @akhil.

also.... you can totally make fun of me, but it took more than a minute to understand that the camera is not wearing a wig. It's actually the mic 🤭

• wyatt
    wyatt Dailynista

It's just a happy little camera hat!

I've always just used my built-in camera on whatever laptop I've been using, but recently I've been considering picking up something nicer to make video content with. The ZV-1 might be outside my needs for now though -- looks fancy!

• mark_at_daily
    mark_at_daily Community Manager, Dailynista admin

External cam (plus ring light) is my go to option. I'm not as fancy as @akhil though. I have a boring Logitech C930e (but it's great!).

• haze
    haze Dailynista
    edited October 2022

External camera all the way; auto-iso + auto focus is just leagues ahead of anything builtin cameras have.

I use a Canon R5 with a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, with an Elgato Cam Link 4k.