Acronym SOS

2»

Comments

• aconchillo
    aconchillo Dailynista
    edited October 2022

These are not in the list but are important in the WebRTC context:

FEC: Forward Error Correction. This is not enabled by default in WebRTC but it can be enabled. It is used as a way to generate redundant RTP packets so if any data is lost (because of packet loss) the FEC algorithms will be able to regenerate the lost data if enough redundant data is available. For example, let's say we have 7 original network packets. If 1 packet is lost it will be impossible to recover the original data. However, if we use FEC instead of 7 packets we might send 10 packets. Now, if a packet is lost it should be possible to recover that lost data using the redundant data sent with FEC. One of those FEC algorithms is called Reed Solomon and it's used for multiple things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2%80%93Solomon_error_correction

RTP: Real-Time Protocol. This is mainly the basis of how WebRTC sends video and audio. It is a network protocol that usually runs on top of UDP. With RTP you can define what are called payloads. A payload is a way to split a frame (in the case of video) into multiple RTP packets. The frames can be key frames or any other type of frame. On the receiving side all these RTP packets need to converted into the original frame and that's what depayloaders do, basically the opposite of a payloader. The RTP protocol also supports a way to define multiple streams, packet loss, clocks, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_Transport_Protocol

• Tasha
    Tasha Community Manager, Dailynista admin

Thanks @aconchillo !

I added a section to the bottom of the list called, other useful terms to know. These are definitely welcome!

• vr000m
    vr000m Dailynista

HTTP - Hyper Text Transport Protocol, the initial web. Usually refers to versions 1.x which were 1.0 and 1.1.

HTTP/2 (H2) - Google made SPDY, then the community modified SPDY to become HTTP/2. The key improvements were pipeline, compression, and security. Pipelining here means avoid the head of line blocking (HOLB) by multiplexing requests and responses. Under the hood this multiplexing means that each user action gets its own StreamID, which helps the server and client maintain state and perform prioritisation. Keep in mind, there still is a single TCP connection between the client and the server. For the Information Theory aficionados, H2 uses Huffman code for compression.

HTTP/3 (H3) - HTTP/2 but over QUIC. It is a major change in protocols. QUIC uses UDP, that effectively moves the dominant web protocol from TCP to UDP.

If there is interest, I will write a separate post on the evolution HTTP, HTTP/2, HTTP/3, WebSocket, WebTransport.

• vr000m
    vr000m Dailynista

CMAF: Common Media Application Format (CMAF) basically describes segmented media. It describes a hypothetical application model that can be used for adaptive streaming. The CMAF standard is adopted by DASH and HLS. Ergo it is extensible standard for both the encoding and packaging of segmented media.

DASH: Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP. HTTP progressive download that encodes the group of pictures boundary into a chunk. Larger the group of pictures, larger is the chunk size (measured in time units, typically seconds). Each chunk can be independently decoded, therefore, a future chunk does not rely on the delivery of a past chunk. DASH is an evolution of Microsoft smooth streaming, RTSP, and HLS.

HLS: HTTP Live Streaming, a defacto standard for livestreaming media over the internet. Created by Apple for iOS, it predates DASH and was built to replace RTMP. This was in the period when Apple was committed to killing Flash (Canvas, Video Playback) and RTMP was one more thing from that ecosystem that required a replacement.

RTMP: Real-Time Messaging Protocol to carry streaming media (audio, video, arbitrary timed data). HLS and DASH use HTTP for its transport, RTMP's base standard does not use HTTP, but relies on TCP to deliver the streams. Was extensively used in the Flash Player for streaming media

RTMFP: Real-time Media Flow Protocol, basically RTMP over UDP. Was built by Adobe for P2P communication between endusers.

SRT: Secure Reliable Transport, is an ingest protocol that connects a media source to a streaming CDN. SRT competes with RTMP as a complementary media ingest protocol. SRT streams over UDP and has build in reliability based on the importance of the media frame, etc. Compared to RTMP which streams over TCP.

• mattieruth
    mattieruth Dailynista
    edited October 2022

Here are some acronyms I'm always tripping over :-):

GDP: Gross Domestic Product. IOW: How much a country makes. (here's a nice listen)

GDPR: General Data Protection Regulation. IOW: It's why you always have to accept cookies.

gRPC: Remote Procedure Call (made by the goog. hence, the g). IOW: A framework for connecting and communicating between services in various environments.

IOW: In other words. I don't trip over this one, but figured i should define it if i'm to use it :)

• Tasha
    Tasha Community Manager, Dailynista admin
    edited October 2022

Wow! We've almost completed the list.

Only 8 more to go:

• IETF
    • KLV
    • MPEG DASH
    • RIST
    • SSAI
    • VMAF
    • XDP

Do you know what these acronyms stand for? If so, help me out!