Changelog #34 - 2022-11-14
I'm here to tell you about the latest changes to Daily.
- If you have any questions, post them in the comments below and we will follow up with you in the thread.
- If you are looking for a feature that we don't offer yet, you can tell us about it here.
Now for the latest...
In this release, we're excited to announce support for 1,000 participant real-time calls and 100,000 participant Interactive Live Streams.
- Large real-time calls where everyone (up to 1,000 participants) is active, meaning anyone in the call can turn on their devices. This is possible in custom Daily apps and apps using Daily Prebuilt.
- Interactive live streaming of up to 100,000 participants: Up to 25 active participants can join with their devices on in a call, and up to 100,000 participants can join the call in real-time. This is a type of "few-to-many" call setting available through Daily, which supports a group of speakers in a call and a large group of participants.
To learn more, check out our scaling large calls guide.
Not to be overshadowed, we're also announcing that the Daily React Hooks library is now the Daily React library. This library now offers audio and video React components to help you get started building on Daily even faster! 🚀
- 🔇 Added support for specifying
startAudioOffas part of your DailyCallOptions (you could previously only do this by way of a token or room settings). This gives you another way of controlling whether your camera and mic turn on automatically when you
join()a call. Specifically, this now allows you to use
startCamera()with one or both devices initially off without having to
preAuth()first using a token or room with those settings.
- 🐛 Fixed issue where
.destroy()would never resolve when called inside of a
"left-meeting"event handler, originally reported via github. Thank you frankie567, for reporting the issue!
- 🚰 Fixed a potentially leaked background worker.
- 🗣️ Added support for customizing the audio bitrate using the existing
micAudioModeproperty. For more information, see our audio mode config property docs.
- 📝 Added support for more transcription parameters. We now support the
redactoptions. For more information, see our transcription docs.
- ❤️🩹 Fixed an issue where a browser under high load may report a stale websocket when it is actually fine.
- 🗂️ Overhauled the handling and normalizing of
getUserMedia()errors to ensure
"camera-error"events are sent consistently across browsers and OSs with more detailed information to help users know exactly what caused the device failure. See the
"camera-error"docs for complete information on the new types of errors and information available.
daily-js 0.32.0 notes above PLUS various mobile audio fixes:
- 📞 We now emit an audio focus loss event on Android if the user receives a phone call.
- 🔎 On Android versions below 12, we no longer receive an audio focus loss event in situations where the audio from multiple sources would actually be mixed. This issue previously led to remote participants being unnecessarily muted.
- 🦆 On iOS, we've replaced
AVAudioSessionCategoryOptionMixWithOthersto improve volume of multiple simultaneous streams without the side effect of not being able to hear remote participants.
daily-js 0.33.0 notes above.
- Prebuilt now persists background effects from meeting to meeting.
- An active speaker's video tile never crops, allowing you to always see their entire screen.
- On mobile devices, now preview your selected camera from the Settings menu.
- Fixed an issue on desktop Safari that prevented users from recovering from a device error in certain cases.
- Fixed an issue where a user's video quality settings weren't correctly applied to Grid View.
- Fixed an issue in Picture-in-Picture mode where participants would appear as a black box.
- Improved the UI copy throughout the app, including improved Swedish translations.
- Daily React Hooks is now Daily React! 🚀
- Three React Components were added to the Daily React library: DailyAudio, DailyAudioTrack, DailyVideo.
- Added a new useActiveSpeakerId hook, which gives participants easy access to the active speaker's ID.
- Added more options to the useTranscription hook.
- iOS and Android SDKs now support using tokens in order to access private rooms.
- Multi-instance recording and live streaming is now available through the REST API (via the
instanceIdparameter). Multi-instance enables multiple layouts per recording or stream.
Streaming & Recording
- 🔮 Improved filters on Transcription support via Deepgram.
- 💳 Now unlock up to 100k programmatic rooms by adding a credit card to your Daily account.
Hello community can on Daily customize video chat calls to see the participants in small mosaics on a video that is broadcast ?0
Hi Hicham! Yes, you can do that. You can find an answer in this thread, https://community.daily.co/discussion/comment/327#Comment_327
Let us know how we can help further. Thanks!1