Actual Webhooks

JarJar
JarJar Member
edited October 2022 in Feature Requests

Hi Daily! I love Daily and I'm using it to build my on startup on the side. It makes building any app with audio/video communication enjoyable.

The feature that I would love to see is the ability to have actual webhooks. Not what is currently implemented. What does this mean?

1- I add an endpoint to my daily.co console to specify the endpoint at my server that will receive user events from Daily.co servers to my backend (ex. api.mystartup.com/daily-events)

2- Webhook will be hit from Daily.co servers to /daily-events in my backend whenever a user event happens(for example participant with Id x joined a room with id x )

3- Webhook would handle events such as joining a room, and leaving a room. So that I can make changes to my DB accordingly.

4- A good example of this is how Stripe implements webhooks, a similar experience to that would be dank AF.

Thank you,

Papa bless

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• kwindla
    kwindla Community Manager, Dailynista admin

Hi! Thanks for this great feature request. I'm a big fan of Stripe's webhooks, too.

We have some webhooks code written that we use internally, but haven't released yet. We want to get both the feature set and the core implementation as right as possible.

It's always helpful to learn more about how people will use a big, flexible capability like webhooks. If you don't mind, we'd love to read any additional thoughts you have about specifically how you'll use webhooks. We totally understand the general need and common use cases. But the more we know, the more we get these kinds of things right in a v1.

1. What will you use webhooks for, specifically? How do they fit into the lifecycle of your application?
    2. A complete list of events you'd want webhooks for.
    3. What state data do you want webhooks to include?

Also, for anyone else interested in webhooks in general, I like this overview post from the engineering team at workOS about implementing webhooks.

• JarJar
    JarJar Member
    edited October 2022

@kwindla I messaged you :) But in summary,

Having at least 2 events when users join and leave a room(regardless of reason, could be by choice or by losing connection) that are emitted to my API so that my rooms can stay in sync with Daily.

I want to show what rooms have which users outside of calls. The way I do it now is not in sync with Daily and is more of a hacky solution.

Thank you,

Bless up

• kwindla
    kwindla Community Manager, Dailynista admin

Thanks, @JarJar !